Blog Archive

Friday 27 October 2017

Identifying Market Trends


Identifying seed market trends requires ongoing research to determine what seed crops I will grow and sell. The market trends will change over time but I will always put a good amount of energy into growing GMO free, ecologically grown, bee/environment friendly crops that are non proprietary. My research methods will include; 

1. Visiting farmers markets to see what farmers are growing/selling 
2. Visiting local grocery stores to see what is available (organic or not) and see where the gaps are between the store and market 
3. Talk to producers to see what they are looking for in seed 
4. Research common diseases in certain crops to see if I can improve a variety for resistance 
5. Discover native plants that are lacking in my region and see if there is interest amongst my customers to plant these seeds in their ornamental gardens 
6. Talk to the co-op organizers and farmers with the co-op to what types of seed are lacking. No point in growing tomato seeds for the co-op if 30 other farmers already are and the customer need is already met. 
7. Ask seed libraries what kinds of seeds they would like to see in their collections  
8. Research labelling and what is attractive to my customers 
9. Determine if my customer base frequent the internet. May be a place for social media or a website for more details on my seeds of that year. This may be a good platform to get a following, disseminate knowledge and gain customer loyalty through being transparent. 
10. Build good relationships with Ag universities and colleges to get my foot in the door for seed research projects that receive a stipend, advertisement or access to resources. 


Image Source: http://www.froutonea.com/images/datafiles/1117.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Hi Carla - these are all really good ways to keep abreast of market trends for your target markets. As mentioned in the last post, I think it would be a good idea to try and prioritize your target markets so you can focus your efforts more. Also, in my opinion, stipends for research/trial etc help with the annual bottom line but will never make up a large part of one's income or be a growing target market that you can build on.

    ReplyDelete

Integrating Seed Production in My Life

Next year, I will incorporate lettuce seed production into my vegetable garden. It will be separated from the vegetable production by t...