Blog Archive

Sunday 29 October 2017

Targeted Market Follow-Up

This is a follow up post in response to Mary's comment below; 


"Hi Carla - my main comment would be that you have identified a number of target markets here that may have quite different characteristics and, thus, needs. For example, your local market may want certain types of seeds and varieties that are quite different from the needs of SoD Canada or research projects. Also, the types of co-ops that you mention are really a conduit to a target market rather than a target market themselves. Your target market here is home gardeners and perhaps small farmers and the co-op is the means to reach them. Depending on the reach of the co-op, your target market here may be across all of BC or even other parts of Canada. This market would probably have quite different trends than your local community. My advice would be to prioritize your top markets so you can allocate your growing space appropriately.It may be nice to grow 3 different varieties for SoD's seed bank but how much of your growing space does that take up and how does it mesh with growing seed crops for your local market or the co-op? This is a good opportunity to develop enterprise budgets for each project to determine relative importance of each market."

Thanks for comments here Mary. I see that having chose many different places to market my seed will be difficult and may not be the most efficient to spread my time and land over many projects. Conducting an enterprise budget for each crop in each market would be a good way to go. My first instinct upon reflection is to first focus on selling to a regional co-op until comfortable and turning a profit then choosing to take on other projects and markets as I grow.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Carla - thanks for the response and for further considering this. I think it makes sense to identify your key market and focus on that until you get further experience.

    All the best,

    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Integrating Seed Production in My Life

Next year, I will incorporate lettuce seed production into my vegetable garden. It will be separated from the vegetable production by t...