Blog Archive

Friday 13 October 2017

Necessary Storage Requirements and Provisions

I plan on storing my seeds for 1-3 years. The initial purpose is to save enough seeds to grow food in the subsequent year from my own seed and to replenish my seed stock. As the years go by I can rotate the types of seed crops I grow. Firstly to increase the diversity of seeds I have on hand and also to give myself time to grow out and sell the seed I have on hand not allowing them to become too old. 
As the years progress I can increase the size of my production to ensure I have steady income and supply of seed and vegetables to live on and feed my family (in conjunction with my husbands income). 

The environment in which to store ensuring good quality of my seeds is should be dry, cool and dark. The main goal during storage is provide conditions to which to seed remains in dormancy and will be viable at germination time. My lettuce seeds will be stored in labelled brown paper envelopes then in further labelled brown paper bags in a fridge. The beans and peas will be stored in a labelled paper or plastic baggy within a labelled mason jar that have small hole poked in the top for air circulation. 

Refer to table 1 & 2 below for germination standards set by the Government of Canada. These minimum germination rates must be met to sell my seed. The minimum germination rate for lettuce is 70% and 65-80% for peas and 65-85% for beans. The beans and peas have ranges as there are different levels of quality the seeds can achieve. Of course I will strive for the highest possible germination rates and test my seeds for germination each year. 

Romaine Lettuce
Image Source: http://www.gettystewart.com/seedy-saturday-saturday-march-9/

Table 1: Accepted Germination Rates by the Gov't of Canada, Seed Regulations
 See Romaine Lettuce Seed in Row S 
 Table Source: http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/c.r.c.,_c._1400/FullText.html




Garden Pea
Image Source: http://www.gardenfresco.co.uk/growing-vegetables/peas


Fava Bean 

Image Source: https://www.ufseeds.com/product/broad-windsor-fava-bean-seeds/


Table 2: Accepted Germination Rates and Percentage of Acceptable Weeds and Other Seed for Non-Field Production Crops by the Gov't of Canada, Seed Regulations (See Peas in Column 4 and Beans in Column 5)

 Table Source: http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/c.r.c.,_c._1400/FullText.html

2 comments:

  1. Hi Carla - you show a good understanding of storage requirements for your seed. I personally prefer not to use plastic baggies for storage as they don't breathe. Also make sure that your beans and peas, in particular, are sufficiently dry before storing them away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carla; Good work in identifying the ideal storage conditions for seeds. I strongly recommend investing in a hygrometer (~$25) that can tell you relative humidity (RH) and temperature. If you place it in the spot in your house you want to store seeds in you can quickly tell if it's a good spot or if you should look for another spot. Use the formula RH (%) + Temperature (Fahrenheit) < 100 to determine if it's a good spot.

    ReplyDelete

Integrating Seed Production in My Life

Next year, I will incorporate lettuce seed production into my vegetable garden. It will be separated from the vegetable production by t...